Save Burma

ျပည္သူေတြဆီမွာ လြတ္လပ္မႈနဲ႔ တန္းတူညီမွ်မႈ အရင္ဆံုး ရွိေနမွ ဒီမိုိကေရစီ စံႏႈန္းရွိတာ ျဖစ္ပါတယ္။

Archive for October 28th, 2009

World focus on Burma (28-10-2009)

leave a comment »

.

Myanmar nationals protest against Chinese gas pipeline project

Sify –

“Today we are gathering here to protest against the Chinese government’s involvement in Human Rights violations in Burma. The Chinese company CNPC. …

Rohingyas Forced to Work on Border Fence

The Irrawaddy News Magazine – Lawi Weng – ‎‎

Burmese junta troops force 200 Rohingyas to build a wire fence on the Bangladesh-Burmese border in Burma’s northern Arakan State each day. …

Rohingya suffer in Bangladesh camps

Aljazeera.net –

The construction of a barbed wire fence along Myanmar’s border with Bangladesh has only increased the suffering of the Muslim Rohingya minority. …

UN expert tells Third Committee no state free from human rights violations …

ReliefWeb (press release) – ‎

He then began discussing the situation of human rights in Myanmar, calling it ” Burma”, upon which the Chair reminded him to refer to countries by their …

How Australia Can Take the Lead In Engaging Burma’s Brutal Regime

Jakarta Globe – David Scott Mathieson – ‎

These individuals are at the apex of the system inside Burma and susceptible to this kind of pressure. In a letter sent by Suu Kyi to President Than Shwe on …

Youth conference condemns junta, urges Suu Kyi’s release

Mizzima.com – ‎

We also called on the military regime to release Aung San Suu Kyi immediately,” Murugun, General Secretary of AIYF, told Mizzima on Wednesday. …

NLD Elder Holds Out for Constitutional Review

The Irrawaddy News Magazine – ‎

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi also asked the US to engage with both sides. Whatever Snr-Gen Than Shwe says, I expect the US policy will open a way for relations with …

Written by Lwin Aung Soe

October 28, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Profile: Radovan Karadzic

leave a comment »

Profile: Radovan Karadzic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8322507.stm

BBC – Page last updated at 12:08 GMT, Monday, 26 October 2009

Radovan Karadzic in 1992 (left) and in a photo released on 22 July 2008

Radovan Karadzic is accused of having direct responsibility for the worst atrocities of the Bosnian war – which have been described as the worst crimes committed in Europe since World War II.

The 2008 arrest of the former Bosnian Serb leader came after he spent nearly 13 years on the run – during which time Serbia came under increasing international pressure to catch him.

He was eventually found living disguised, under a false name and working as a New Age healer in Belgrade in July 2008. A bushy grey beard and thick glasses had transformed his appearance.

He was arrested and handed over to the UN’s International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague.

Accused of leading the slaughter of thousands of Bosnian Muslims (Bosniaks) and Croats, he faces 11 counts of genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity and other atrocities in the Bosnian war of the 1990s.

When he first appeared before the tribunal in August 2008, Mr Karadzic failed to respond to the charges against him and the court entered pleas of not guilty on his behalf.

The 64-year-old, who is defending himself, tried to delay his trial’s 26 October start date, saying he had not had enough time to prepare. He boycotted the opening of his trial.

The court’s judges asked the prosecution to abbreviate the original charge-sheet, which Mr Karadzic said amounted to more than one million pages of testimony.

He had previously refused to recognise the legitimacy of the court, calling it a “bastardised judicial system” and an instrument of Nato, whose sole intention was to “liquidate” him.

Protected in hiding

The UN says Mr Karadzic’s forces killed at least 7,500 Muslim men and boys from Srebrenica in July 1995 as part of a campaign to “terrorise and demoralise the Bosnian Muslim and Bosnian Croat population”.

He is also accused of orchestrating the shelling of Sarajevo, and the use of 284 UN peacekeepers as human shields in May and June 1995.

After the Dayton accord that ended the Bosnian war, the former nationalist president went into hiding – possibly in the mountainous south-eastern area of the Serb-controlled part of Bosnia, protected by paramilitaries.

Mr Karadzic says Dayton’s chief architect, US diplomat Richard Holbrooke, promised him immunity from prosecution in exchange for quitting the political scene. Mr Holbrooke denies any such deal was struck.

International pressure to capture Mr Karadzic mounted in spring 2005, when several of his former generals surrendered, and a video of Bosnian Serb soldiers shooting captives from Srebrenica shocked television viewers in former Yugoslavia.

Belgrade announced several arrests in connection with the video, which was first shown during the war crimes trial of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic.

In early 2007, Nato troops in Bosnia-Hercegovina raided the homes of Mr Karadzic’s children, saying they believed Sasa and Sonja Karadzic to be part of a network supporting their father.

‘Head of state’

Mr Karadzic was born in 1945 in a stable in Savnik, Montenegro.

His father, Vuk, had been a member of the Chetniks – Serb nationalist guerrillas who fought against both Nazi occupiers and Tito’s communist partisans in World War II – and was in jail for much of his son’s childhood.

His mother, Jovanka Karadzic, described her son as loyal, and a hard worker who used to help her in the home and in the fields. She said he was a serious boy who was respectful towards the elderly and helped his school friends with their homework.

In 1960 he moved to Sarajevo, where he later met his wife, Ljiljana, graduated as a doctor, and became a psychiatrist in a city hospital.

He also became a poet and fell under the influence of the Serb nationalist writer Dobrica Cosic, who encouraged him to go into politics.

Years later, after working briefly for the Green Party, he helped set up the Serbian Democratic Party (SDS) – formed in 1990 in response to the rise of nationalist and Croat parties in Bosnia, and dedicated to the goal of a Greater Serbia.

Less than two years later, as Bosnia-Hercegovina gained recognition as an independent state, he declared the creation of the independent Serbian Republic of Bosnia and Hercegovina (later renamed Republika Srpska) with its capital in Pale, a suburb of Sarajevo, and himself as head of state.

Mr Karadzic’s party, supported by Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic, organised Serbs to fight against the Bosniaks and Croats in Bosnia.

A vicious war ensued, in which Serbs besieged Sarajevo for 43 months, shelling Bosniak forces but also terrorising the civilian population with a relentless bombardment and sniper fire. Thousands of civilians died, many of them deliberately targeted.

Bosnian Serb forces – assisted by paramilitaries from Serbia proper – also expelled hundreds of thousands of Bosniaks and Croats from their homes in a brutal campaign of “ethnic cleansing”. Numerous atrocities were documented, including the widespread rape of Bosniak women and girls.

Reporters also discovered Bosnian Serb punishment camps, where prisoners-of-war were starved and tortured.

War crimes were also committed against Serb civilians by the Bosnian Serbs’ foes in the bitter inter-ethnic war – Europe’s bloodiest since World War II.

Mr Karadzic was jointly indicted in 1995 along with the Bosnian Serb military leader, Ratko Mladic, for alleged war crimes they committed during the 1992-95 war.

He was obliged to step down as president of the SDS in 1996 as the West threatened sanctions against Republika Srpska, and later went into hiding.

While on the run, he managed to get a book published in October 2004 by a former associate, Miroslav Toholj. Miraculous Chronicles of the Night, set in 1980s Yugoslavia, tells the story of a man jailed by mistake after the death of former Yugoslav strongman Josip Broz Tito.

In May 2005, investigators reported two separate sightings of Radovan Karadzic – allegedly with his wife Ljiljana in south-eastern Bosnia and then with his brother Luka in Belgrade – as his mother was dying of cancer in Niksic, Montenegro.

KARADZIC’S CV
1945: Born in Montenegro
1960: Moves to Sarajevo
1968: Publishes collection of poetry
1971: Graduates in medicine
1983: Becomes team psychologist for Red Star Belgrade football club
1990: Becomes president of SDS party
1992-1995: Bosnian war
2008: Arrested in Serbia
………………………………..
More from BBC on Radovan Karadzic
KARADZIC AT THE HAGUE

What is a war crime?
…………………………..

 

Written by Lwin Aung Soe

October 28, 2009 at 3:49 am

Posted in Varieties in English

Tagged with

Video: Prosecutors begin Karadzic trial – 28 Oct 09

leave a comment »

Video: Prosecutors begin Karadzic trial – 28 Oct 09

Al Jazeera

Karadzic ‘led ethnic cleansing’

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8327210.stm

BBC

Page last updated at 17:28 GMT, Tuesday, 27 October 200

Prosecutors at the genocide and war crimes trial of ex-Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic have branded him the leader of an ethnic cleansing campaign.

The court ruled the trial in The Hague could resume despite Mr Karadzic boycotting it for a second day.

In opening remarks, prosecutors said Mr Karadzic had “harnessed the forces of nationalism, hatred and fear” to pursue his vision of a state without Muslims.

Mr Karadzic denies all charges, which relate to the Bosnian war of the 1990s.

The former Bosnian Serb leader, who is representing himself at the trial, says he still needs at least nine months to prepare his defence.

Separately, former Bosnian Serb President Biljana Plavsic – convicted of war crimes – has been released.

Plavsic was the highest ranking official from the former Yugoslavia to have pleaded guilty for her part in the Bosnian War. She was sentenced in 2003 to 11 years in a Swedish jail.

But a Swedish court has allowed her early release for good behaviour.

‘Hatred and fear’

At The Hague, Mr Karadzic, 64, faces two charges of genocide and nine more of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The former president of Republika Srpska, head of the Serbian Democratic Party (SDS) and commander of the Bosnian Serb Army has refused to enter pleas, but has said he will co-operate with the court to prove his innocence.

In opening remarks at his trial, the prosecution labelled him the “undisputed leader” of Serbs responsible for carrying out atrocities during the 1992-1995 conflict.

“This case is about that supreme commander, a man who harnessed the forces of nationalism, hatred and fear to implement his vision of an ethnically separated Bosnia: Radovan Karadzic,” prosecutor Alain Tieger said.

Mr Karadzic had “ethnically cleansed vast portions of Bosnia and Hercegovina” during the war, Mr Tieger said, describing him as a “hands-on leader who maintained direct contact”.

“In the course of conquering the territory that he claimed for the Serbs, his forces killed thousands of Bosnian Muslims and Croats, imprisoned thousands more in squalid and brutal camps and detention facilities, and forced hundreds of thousands away from their homes,” the prosecutor said.

Mr Tieger said that as well as witness testimony, some of the evidence against Mr Karadzic would come from intercepts of his own phone calls and transcripts of his speeches.

He quoted Mr Karadzic as saying before the war that Serb forces would turn the Bosnian capital, Sarajevo, into “a black cauldron, where 300,000 Muslims will die”.

Mr Tieger said witnesses who survived the long siege of Sarajevo would describe living “in constant fear, day after day, for years, knowing that they or their loved ones were targets”.

Empty chair

Announcing the court’s decision to proceed in his absence, Judge O-Gon Kwon said Mr Karadzic had chosen not to exercise his right to be present and “must therefore accept the consequences”.

He said the court would consider imposing a lawyer to represent Mr Karadzic if he continues to boycott proceedings.

Mr Karadzic is not due to give his opening argument until next week.

His legal counsel in Belgrade said he would reject any counsel imposed by the court.

Another of his legal advisers, Kevin Jon Heller, said that from the scope of the trial – thought to include 1.2 million pages of evidence, numerous crime scenes and hundreds of witness – it was understandable why Mr Karadzic, who is not a trained lawyer, had stayed away.

Mr Karadzic was taken to the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague last year, after 13 years in hiding.

He was indicted in 1995 on two counts of genocide and a multitude of other crimes committed against Bosnian Muslim, Bosnian Croat and other non-Serb civilians during the 1992-1995 war, which left more than 100,000 people dead.

The charges relate to several events, including the campaign of shelling and sniper attacks on Sarajevo during the 44-month siege of the city, in which some 12,000 civilians died.

Mr Karadzic is also accused of being behind the massacre of more than 7,000 Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) men and youths in Srebrenica in July 1995, and of attacks on more than a dozen Bosnian municipalities in the early stages of the war.

He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted.

Correspondents say the judges want to complete the trial by 2012, conscious that the trial of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic ended without a verdict after four years when he died in custody.

Prosecutors have abbreviated the scale of their case, and will call fewer witnesses and include alleged crimes in fewer locations.

………………………………..

Written by Lwin Aung Soe

October 28, 2009 at 3:39 am